A collaborative effort of CCDA and SCVA
Thank you all for your patience as we all eagerly await the final performance videos for the 2021 Virtual All-State Choirs! Between the choral and instrumental groups, there were 14 California All-State ensembles this year. We are now expecting that the videos will be released by the end of July. Video links will be posted here and emailed out as soon as they’re available.
The CCDA/SCVA Honor Choirs are an amazing opportunity for choral students from around the state of California to sing in select choirs under the direction of nationally and internationally known conductors. Students accepted into the honor choirs receive their music several weeks ahead of the rehearsals and performance, learn the music with the aid of rehearsal tracks and their school/community choir directors then come together for three days of music making with students from all over the state of California. The honor choir experience culminates in two concerts featuring the Junior High/9th grade, TTBB, SATB, and SSAA choirs. While ninth graders are eligible for both junior and senior high honor choirs, directors, singers, and parents should keep in mind that many of the 10th, 11th and 12th graders also auditioning for senior high honor choir have had more years of experience auditioning for and performing in honor choirs. Participation in the Junior High/9th Grade All-State Honor Choir is a great stepping stone for the high school level All-State – it gives students an audition experience and an understanding of honor choir rehearsals, literature, and decorum.
There are three regional high school honor choirs: Coastal, Central, and Southern/SCVA. Each region has a TTBB choir, an SATB choir, and an SSAA choir. High school singers audition in September/October to become a member of one of the state’s regional honor choirs in November. Students who have participated in a regional honor choir and have indicated that they want to be considered for All-State Honor Choir will have their audition scores assessed for participation in All-State Honor Choir. The All-State Honor Choir is “the cream of the crop,” bringing together the finest high school singers from the entire state of California to sing in the All-State Honor Choirs in February. Junior high school singers audition in the fall for the All-State Honor Choir – there is no regional All-State event at the middle school/junior high level.
Not sure what region you are in? Please email the All State Co-Chairs, Angelina Fitzhugh and Susie Martone, at email@example.com.
Financial Information at a Glance
|Regional Honor Choir Participation Fee Central & Coastal Regions||TBD|
|SCVA (Southern Region)||see SCVA website|
|Tickets for Regional Concerts||TBD|
|All-State Honor Choir Participation Fee||TBD|
Auditions for the 2021-2022 honor choirs will be held online. Please check back here in August for audition details. High school audition elements will include an accompanied vocal solo in Italian, French, German, or Spanish, major and chromatic scales, and sight reading. Junior high school audition elements will include prescribed vocalises and an a cappella vocal solo.
Current enrollment in and participation in the choral program at your school or community organization is required, and your director must approve your audition application online. Your choir director must be a member of CCDA or SCVA.
By submitting an application, the singer, director, and school/organization agree to follow through on their commitment for that singer to participate in the honor choir should he or she be accepted. Students are required to attend the entirety of all rehearsals. Your school/organization may be subject to a one-year suspension from participation in honor choirs if any singer from your school/organization does not attend any or all required activities after being accepted, unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness, injury, or death in the family.
Placement in Regional Honor Choirs (high school only)
- High schoolers new to honor choirs this year will be randomly placed into Regional and All-State SATB, TTBB, or SSAA Honor Choirs.
- Singers who sang in a Regional SATB Honor Choir last year will be placed into the Regional SSAA or TTBB Honor Choir this year. Singers who sang in a Regional SSAA/TTBB Honor Choir last year will be placed into the Regional SATB Honor Choir this year. The same rotation system is applied to the All-State Choirs as well.
- Directors whose singers apply for the honor choirs must be members of CCDA or SCVA.
- All documents (including sheet music) will be emailed or mailed to the school/organization and posted on the CCDA web site for download.
- If you send singers to the honor choirs it is your responsibility to distribute information, forms, and music to your students.
- It is your responsibility to make sure your students are prepared for honor choirs and that they turn in their forms and pay their fees on time.
- If you have two or more students attending the honor choir, you will be expected to attend the honor choir and volunteer during the weekend.
- It is strongly recommended that directors assist the singers in filling out the online form, especially those fields dealing with school/community organization and director information. The application cannot be processed unless the singers enter their director’s correct email address. We need complete and accurate information.
- Your school/organization may be subject to a one-year suspension from participation in honor choirs if any singer from your school/organization does not attend any or all required activities after being accepted, unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness, injury, or death in the family.