A collaborative effort of California ACDA and SCVA
Click HERE to view the 2017 High School Honor Choir Roster!
PAYMENT: Click here to pay your High School All State Registration
Student Permission Form
School Registration Form
Rooms are still available at the San José Hilton, click HERE to make your reservation
California All-State Honor Choirs
Rehearsals: February 16 – 18, San Jose State University
Concerts: February 18, Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph, San Jose
Honor Choir Concert Tickets are now on sale online
Saturday, February 18th
Cathedral of St Joseph’s Basilica, San José, CA
10:15 am Jr. High/9th Grade Honor Choir & Men’s Honor Choir Concert CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS
4:30pm Women’s Honor Choir & Mixed Honor Choir Concert CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS
Because of our limited capacity at the Cathedral CASMEC attendees and Honor Choir Teachers also need to have tickets. CASMEC attendees will need to show their badges with their ticket, Honor Choir Teachers names will be checked against our rosters. Thank you for your cooperation.
If you intend on attending the All State Women’s Choir & Mixed Choir Concert you will need a separate ticket for that concert.
- Dr. Sandra Snow, Michigan State University – Women ACCESS PRACTICE TRACKS Divisi LISTING
- Dr. Ethan Sperry, Portland State University – Men ACCESS PRACTICE TRACKS Divisi LISTING
- Dr. Amanda Quist, Westminster Choir College – Mixed ACCESS PRACTICE TRACKS Divisi LISTING
The ACDA/SCVA High School Honor Choirs are an amazing opportunity for high school students from around the state of California to sing in select choirs under the direction of nationally and internationally known conductors. Students accepted into the honor choirs receive their music several weeks ahead of the rehearsals and performance, learn the music with the aid of rehearsal tracks and their school/community choir directors then come together for three days of music making with students from all over the state of California. The honor choir experience culminates in a concert featuring the Mixed, Women’s, and Men’s choirs. While ninth graders are eligible for both junior and senior high honor choirs, directors, singers, and parents should keep in mind that many of the 10th, 11th and 12th graders they will be auditioning with for senior high honor choir have had more years experience auditioning for and performing in honor choirs. Participation in the Junior High/9th Grade All-State Honor Choir is a great stepping stone for the high school level All-State in that it gives students an audition experience as well as an understanding of honor choir rehearsals, literature, and decorum. To learn more about the Junior High/9th Grade All-State Honor Choir click HERE.
There are three regional honor choirs, Coastal, Central, and Southern/SCVA. Each region has a Men’s Choir, Women’s Choir and a Mixed Choir. Singers audition in September/October to become a member of one of the state’s regional honor choirs in November. Students who have participated in a regional honor choir and have indicated that they want to be considered for All State Honor Choir will have their audition scores assessed for participation in All State Honor Choir. The All State Honor Choir is “the cream of the crop”, bringing together the finest high school singers from the entire state of California to sing in the All State Honor Choirs in February.
Not sure what region you are in? Please email All State Chair, Genevieve Tep, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click HERE to download the 2016-2017 High School Honor Choir Handbook
PAYMENT: Click here to register and make your All-state Honor Choir payment.
Information at a Glance
|Audition Fee (for all three regions)||$ 10.00|
|Regional Honor Choir Participation Fee Central & Coastal Regions||$100.00|
|SCVA (Southern Region)||$ 90.00|
|Tickets for Regional Concerts and All-State Concert||$ 10.00|
|All-State Honor Choir Participation Fee||$210.00|
Current enrollment in and participation in the choral program at your high school or community organization is required and your director must approve your audition application online. Your choir director must be a member of ACDA or SCVA.
THE AUDITION (100 points)
We recommend that teachers/directors review each of these skills with their singers so that they are well prepared.
- SOLO: (40 points) Prepare an Italian song to be sung from memory. We recommend Schirmer’s 24 Italian Songs and Arias or 26 Italian Songs and Arias edited by John Glenn Paton. The singer will sing the song once through with NO repeats or da capo. Each singer must provide an accompanist or recording with sound reproductive equipment. Singers must provide two copies of music for the adjudicators. The key selected for the solo should be appropriate for the singer’s voice part.
- TONAL MEMORY: (25 points) Five-note passages will be played on the piano for the singer to repeat, sung on any syllable.
- SIGHT-READING: (20 points) A single-line, unaccompanied melody will be supplied, sung on any syllable.
- SCALES/TRIADS: (15 points) Sing the following: ascending and descending: major scale, major triad, minor triad, and chromatic scale, sung on any syllable.
By submitting an application, the singer, director, and school/organization agree to follow through on their commitment for that singer to participate in the honor choir should he or she be accepted. You are required to attend all of the rehearsals. Your school/organization may be subject to a one-year suspension from participation in honor choirs if any singer from your school/organization does not attend any or all required activities after being accepted, unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness, injury, or death in the family.
Placement in Choirs
- If you are new to honor choirs this year you will be randomly placed into your Regional and All- State Mixed, Men’s or Women’s Honor Choir.
- Singers who sang in a Regional Mixed Honor Choir last year will be placed into the Regional Women’s or Men’s Honor Choir this year. Singers who sang in a Regional Women’s/Men’s Honor Choir last year will be placed into the Regional Mixed Honor Choir this year. The same rotation system is applied to the All-State Choirs as well.
- Directors whose singers apply for the honor choirs must be members of ACDA or SCVA.
- All documents (including sheet music) will be emailed or mailed to the school/organization and posted on the California ACDA web site for download.
- If you send singers to the honor choirs it is your responsibility to distribute information, forms, and music to your students.
- It is your responsibility to make sure your students are prepared for honor choirs and that they turn in their forms and pay their fees on time.
- If you have two or more students attending the honor choir, you will be expected to attend the honor choir and volunteer during the weekend.
- It is strongly recommended that directors assist the singers in filling out the online form, especially those fields dealing with school/community organization and director information. The application cannot be processed unless the singers enter their director’s correct email address. We need complete and accurate information.
- Your school/organization may be subject to a one-year suspension from participation in honor choirs if any singer from your school/organization does not attend any or all required activities after being accepted, unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness, injury, or death in the family.
All-State Honor Choirs Chairperson
Central Region Chairperson
Coastal Region Chairperson
SCVA VP of HS Honor Choirs